Notifications
Clear all

2001 Chevy 2500 Allison transmission module

I have a 2001 Chevy 2500HD with the 8.1 gasoline engine and Allison transmission. Randomly shows transmission hot light and gauge pegs out at 300+ degrees, truck goes in limp mode. Sometimes happens after sitting overnight and before driving a mile so fluid cannot be hot. I have replaced the transmission temperature sensor and wiring harness inside the transmission. Parts were from Allison not aftermarket. Fluid is GM as are both filters. Plugs in the TCM have been cleaned and dielectric grease applied. No rhyme or reason as to when this will .happen. Sometimes when light comes on I can stop the truck and shut it off then restart and everything normal. Sometimes if I just keep driving after it comes on the light will go off and the temp hand go to the lowest end of the scale. Just trying to find out if it sounds like a TCM problem or a cluster problem as has been suggested. Thanks for taking the time to read this long message and hopefully you can help with the problem

2001 Chevy 2500  Allison transmission module
Topic starter Posted : 02/16/2024 7:19 pm
Serge - UpFix Team
Famed Member Moderator

If you scan the vehicle for codes let us know what those codes are. The OBDII scan tool would have to be capable of communicating with the TCM. The Allison TCMs for 01-05 vehicles do go bad so we can do a bench test and refurbish that if we find faults with it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/16/2024 7:20 pm

If I bring it in could you possibly test it while I'm there? I'm in Alabama and wouldn't mind the trip. If it shows to need repair I would leave it and you could ship it back to me when fixed. Thanks for your help

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/16/2024 7:20 pm
Serge - UpFix Team
Famed Member Moderator

You're most certainly welcome to drop it off, it takes 1-2 business days to run diagnostics on it and we can mail it back to you with no problem. Just make sure to mention that when you drop it off.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/16/2024 7:21 pm
Share: