Notifications
Clear all

TCM Removal/Replacement 2010 Mazda 3

Ben DiCrasto
New Member Registered

My 2010 Mazda 3 was giving me a hard kick when shifting gears. Would do the same when putting in reverse from the parked position. AT and engine light were coming on upon feeling the car jerk.

TCM Removal

- Remove battery box and battery (3-6 bolts). May need to clip plastic tie holding cords.

- TCM is beneath the battery box toward the back. Remove three bolts holding TCM down.

TCM Replacement

- It is recommended that when you replace with the new TCM to mount it toward the drivers seat where the break lines are (zip-ties, etc.)

- Reinsert battery box and battery and you should be good to go!

You can either send the old TCM to UpFix for repair or have them send you a new one right way - you can receive a $300 refund if you send in the old one. This is what I chose since the repair is time sensitive in my case.

AF6DE325 9CEC 481C 8229 E08902CBF692
3009054F EDDB 4C28 BC92 BA208C3ACD41
CFE2EF15 A421 47DB BEFD 2447B420E4C8
D703CC2E 6E03 4FDE 81A1 23BAED9A47DF
This topic was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Ben DiCrasto
Topic starter Posted : 04/30/2022 4:36 pm
Serge - UpFix Team
Famed Member Moderator

Thank you for detailed TCM removal instructions 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/30/2022 4:40 pm
Dmitriy Bozko
New Member Registered

Hint: You don't actually need to remove battery and battery box. I was able to reach and remove the three TCM mounting bolts by lying down on the engine.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2022 11:22 pm
Blake Lee
New Member Registered

I went through the teardown process without too much surprise. It took me about 40 minutes.  It could be faster if I was anxious.  But after seeing the video and knowing what it takes, I was more relaxed to enjoy the process.  I was actually thinking about going under the engine to take out the TCM. But standing on the ground is certainly more enjoyable. 

After reading some reviews on both options, mail & repair mine or buy a rebuilt one and return the core, I decided to ship mine in for repair.  My main decision point is that I don't want to add more complication in dealing with a different TCM. 

A little ahead of myself, I am not sure I will follow the recommended steps by mounting the repaired TCM on the brake lines to avoid heat. For one, the TCM is design/built for the specs including heat protection.  Two, I don't want to introduce any unintended consequences by breaking other parts in long term durability.  But this is only the thought for the moment, I can make a decision when I receive my repaired part. 

Some people complained about slow FEDEX shipping. Me too.  But then I realized it is only that I set my expectation wrong.  FEDEX only says two-day shipping, not two-day delivery.  This trick has been used everywhere from those online orders.  But only this time I understood it the first hand. I shipped mine on a Thursday morning and it was delivered in the next Monday morning.  Now Tuesday morning, I am waiting for UpFix to contact me for the repair. 

Updates: I received my repaired part on the 15th day from the day I dropped off the broken unit to FedEx.  I installed it without any issue.  I decided to attach the unit to the brake lines using 3 zip-ties. All the warning lights were gone and the car drove well as it should be. I only test drove it 1.4 miles.  The total cost had several changes.  First the repair price increased $40 without an explanation.  I then worked on this posting to be qualified for a 50% discount. I emailed the customer service to cash in the discount. I paid when Upfix notified me about the repair completion. Immediately after I paid, the part was shipped.  Overall, I have had a good experience with Upfix. The process was stated clearly. The Customer Service was prompt and helpful. Other than the initial repair price increase, there was no more surprise. I generally will recommend this to a friend or anyone, unless the repair doesn't last.   

IMG 1282
IMG 1287
IMG 1283
IMG 1286
IMG 1291

This post was modified 2 years ago 6 times by Blake Lee
ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2022 1:18 pm
Serge - UpFix Team
Famed Member Moderator

On forum we don't share personal information,  so i can't check your order status.  Send email to customer service or call them to see the status of your order. Make sure you have your order number ready when you call. 1-888-979-9343

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2022 5:35 pm
Blake Lee
New Member Registered

Serge: 

Can you please provide email address to the Customer Service?  Thanks. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/13/2022 12:03 pm
Serge - UpFix Team
Famed Member Moderator

You can send message on our Website Upfix.com 

https://www.upfix.com/?utm_source=pwa

Info@upfix.com 

Screenshot 20220713 104028 Chrome
This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Serge - UpFix Team
ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/13/2022 2:31 pm
Share: