Notifications
Clear all

2016-2018 Ford Focus sync3 APIM Module Removal instructions

FocusSTdriver
New Member Registered

All tools I needed were: Plastic spatula (or butterknife works fine), Filips head screwdriver, T25 screwdriver head. It took me 1 hour to complete the whole procedure. Please refer to the video below.

1, I unplugged the battery by unscrewing the negative connection then the positive connection. Using a 10mm socket wrench. I left them disconnect and away from each other.

20221012 124953[1]

2, Then I used a spatula/butterknife to remove the passenger airbag plastic bezel /plate on the radio cover. Start from the outside then work your way inside. It is hard to remove because of the tight fit of the plastic bezel/plate. Great amount of force is required to pry off. If you use a butterknife please be careful not to damage the parts that you wedge or leverage from.  

3, Remove cable for the passenger airbag light. There are cli

ps on many of these cables that need to be pushed before you pull the cable. 

4, Remove the 4 star screws with the T25 screwdriver or T25 head. As shown in the video

5, Now go to the passenger side of the radio. There is a rectangular plastic plate that needs to be separated then pulled down towards the seat. Opening the glove compartment helps. 

6, There is a plastic bezel around the edge of the stickshift. I find it easier to start on the side of the passenger holding onto the space of the plastic plate removed in step 5. Make sure you pull towards the back of the car and upward. It is held in by clips.

7, Remove the single star screw that is holding the bottom of the large climate control/stickshift plate. (the 2 top star screws were removed in step 4). Then pull on the this large climate control/stickshift plate with significant force. Careful not to break the connections for the climate, 12v cigarette lighter, usb, (no need to disconnect these previously mentioned cable). Putting the stickshift in 4th gear helps by providing more space for this part to be lowered.

8, Remove the plastic face cover that has the 2 vents, and the radio controls ( volume dial, seek, source, etc) by holding the bottom of the plastic cover and pulling upwards and outwards at the same time. This is also a tight fit and requires much force to be pulled away. Careful with the radio dial cables and the hazard lights cable. Disconnect those and put aside the radio face cover. 

9, Next unscrew 4 star screws that is holding the 8" LCD touch screen. Pull the screen (with the APIM module screwed on the back) by pulling out and downward and slightly rotating as needed. Watch out for the antenna, and other cables on the back. Disconnect those by pushing the security clips and then pulling away. 

10, Disconnect on the of the connections between the APIM and the LCD screen. Remove the screws that are holding the APIM to the LCD screen. 

To reinstall everything please do these steps in reverse order. 

END. 

https://a.co/d/esDZhWD - T25 screwdriver

https://a.co/d/2C7pcaU   - 10mm socket wrench

https://a.co/d/dwWql1N - plastic spatula

Topic starter Posted : 10/12/2022 7:05 pm
Topic Tags
Serge - UpFix Team
Famed Member Moderator

Thank you for posting instructions and video of how to sync3 APIM Module Removal. Start the order on our website upfix.com and send your part in for repair and we will rebuild it for you for free. When you place the order use same email address as  registered here on the forum.

Let me know if you got any questions 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/12/2022 7:10 pm
Share: