Notifications
Clear all

2002 Rav4 ECU

Make sure the problem is actually the ECM first! I replaced the EGR valve and then the MAF and that solved the problem on my 2002 Rav4. The total cost was about $40. I also pulled the spark plugs and the coils and checked those as well and since those were OK I went on to replacing the EGR valve and MAF sensor due to those two items being inexpensive to replace.Even though I didn't hook up and run a OBDII reader to the Rav4's computer I just test drove my Rav4 If the car runs fine then I don't worry about the engine light whatsoever. I've been driving my 2002 Rav4 this way for the last 6 ~ 7 years without any significant problems either....Like one YouTube mechanic said, "If the car's engine light is ON but there are no significant problems when you are driving the vehicle them continue to drive the car. Many times the problem is insignificant and does not need addressing."

Topic starter Posted : 04/02/2024 6:28 pm
Serge - UpFix Team
Famed Member Moderator

Thanks for checking out the video! We're glad to hear that you resolved your issue. When the RAV4 01-03 ECU fails, it primarily affects the transmission-related functions. You're absolutely right that when the check engine light is on, there could be an entirely different issue that could be resolved without needing to have the ECU repair. Sensors and mechanical parts are usually the first to fail especially in an aging vehicle due to wear-n-tear.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/02/2024 6:29 pm
Share: